Friday, August 1, 2008

"Ask Ginny"

Ginny invites you to write to her with your questions...... [Submit them as a comment on one of the "Ask Ginny" posts and Ginny will repost them in a new post segment.]

Q & A about health, veterinary
matters, training, and life

Q: Dear Ginny,

I recently heard something about palm trees being poisonous. Do you have any information about this?

A: Well, not all palm trees are toxic, but one important one is: the Sago Palm, scientific name Cycas revoluta, of the Cycad palm family. ALL parts of this palm tree are poisonous. For a complete discussion on the toxicity of Sago and other cycad palms, see the excellent ASPCA Poison Control Center article on the following page:

There are several other helpful lists on toxic and non-toxic plants and flowers:

1) ASPCA Toxic plants list:
2) ASPCA 17 most common poisonous plants:
3) ASPCA Non-toxic plants list:
4) ASPCA Non-toxic flowers and bouquets:
5) Univ. of Calif. at Davis, Toxic plants list--by common name and toxicity class:


Eric S. said...

Ginny, I recently had a litter of puppies. They are 8 weeks old, and doing great.

My question is, at about 3 weeks, I started loosing hair. it started low around my stomach and chest, but has since gone farther, and is traveling up my side. I am now loosing much of my beautiful thick and soft coat. It has been uncommonly hot this year. Could that be a cause is perhaps something more serious.


SoulandSubstance said...

Dear Eric S.--That is such a good question, that I am going to pass it on to my partner and it will get it's own post. Check back in a few minutes.

My Favorite Facebook Page! I am SUCH a Fan (I'm also their mascot!)

I try not to discriminate against a species that is "less fortunate" than mine.