Saturday, August 2, 2008

"Ask Ginny"

Ginny invites you to write to her with your questions...... [Submit them as a comment on one of the "Ask Ginny" posts and Ginny will repost them in a new post segment.]




Q & A about health, veterinary
matters, training, and life


Q: Dear Ginny, I recently had a litter of puppies. They are 8 weeks old, and doing great. My question is, at about 3 weeks, I started losing hair. It started low around my stomach and chest, but has since gone farther, and is traveling up my side. I am now losing much of my beautiful thick and soft coat. It has been uncommonly hot this year. Could that be a cause, or is it perhaps something more serious?

Thanks,
Eric S.

~
A: Well, assuming that you are not significantly itchy (i.e., scratching or licking yourself), then it is very likely that the hair loss is due to normal hormone fluctuations following whelping (delivery of pups). The scientific name for this condition is telogen effluvium. Again, it is NORMAL and the hair will grow back after several weeks. Now, if the hair is lost in patches, if the skin is itchy, or you see bumps or areas of redness, it may be something else entirely, and you should see your vet. Sometimes other hormone imbalances can mimic this post-whelping hair loss, so if there are any additional symptoms, you should definitely see your vet. For example, hypothyroidism (low thyroid hormones) can cause weight gain, sluggishness, and symmetrical hair loss, among other things; Cushings syndrome (excessive internal steroid hormones) can cause increased thirst and urination, a pot belly, and numerous other signs. Again, if there are any questions at all, see your vet.

7 comments:

Eric S. said...

Thank you so much, There is no scratching itching or red spots, nor other symptoms. But Mom and Dad have me scheduled to visit that Vet I like so much today. Thanks for your advice.

LucyS said...

Good. Please let me know what your vet says. Woof.

LucyS said...

Good. Please let me know what your vet says. Woof.

Anonymous said...

Question for Ginny

I, too, am a beautiful female GSD. I HATE having my nails trimmed. I snarl and carry on but mom still insists on trimming them. She has never hit even come close to making my nails bleed but I still Hate it. Mom has seen a product advertised called PediPaws. This product looks good but mom doesn't want to spend the money if it's not worth it. Do you have any opinion or experience with this product? If, not, any suggestions? Thanks, Natti in Ohio

LucyS said...

Thanks for the question. I will repost it on an official "Ask Ginny" page. Check back in a few minutes.
-Ginny

Eric S. said...

The vet said I have a low thyroid count, that may have caused by stress from my larger than normal litter, 6 beautiful babies. She gave me Sodium Levothyroid 2 mg, I have to take 1/2 tablet twice a day then I have to go back in 30 days. Thanks for your help.

LucyS said...

Please keep us posted.

My Favorite Facebook Page! I am SUCH a Fan (I'm also their mascot!)

JustAnswer.com

I try not to discriminate against a species that is "less fortunate" than mine.