Thursday, January 31, 2008

Financial Aid For Urgent or Emergency Veterinary Care


I heard my human partner talking with a friend about how awful it is, when someone has an emergency with their dog or cat, and can't afford to pay for it. Veterinary bills in emergencies, they were saying, can easily run into thousands of dollars, especially if the animal has to spend days in the ICU (intensive care unit) or has to have major emergency surgery. What do "normal" people do? Most people don't have that kind of money unless they can "max out" a credit card. Well, my partner did a little research and there are a few organizations that can sometimes help. The best one appears to be IMOM.org: http://www.imom.org/ They have a great web site, with discussion boards where the cases that need help are described. In an emergency situation, they can tap into a fund for initial care and then post requests for further funding.


Another site she found is only for cats, but still could be helpful, is the Feline Veterinary Emergency Assistance Program: http://www.fveap.org/sys-tmpl/door/

Anyway, I thought that if I told all my friends about this need for people who can help other people pay for this vet care they can't afford, then maybe lots of people will donate lots of money and lots of animals will be helped. It's so sad that there are so few resources.

No comments:

My Favorite Facebook Page! I am SUCH a Fan (I'm also their mascot!)

JustAnswer.com

I try not to discriminate against a species that is "less fortunate" than mine.